How to Change Your Name After Divorce

After a woman gets divorced, one of her first priorities is to change her name, so that she can move on with her life and start afresh. However, there are many women who do not know how to change their names after divorce.

Changing a name after divorce is easy, though it is full of legal procedures that need to be followed. A woman can revert to her maiden name or also select a new name. Normally a woman has to file a legal application in the divorce court for a name change. This can be done through the attorney how has handled your divorce.

Here are some of the steps involved in changing name after divorce:

• The first step is to decide the name you want to use after your divorce. As mentioned earlier, it can be your maiden name or a completely new name. If you are choosing a new name, sit down and make a list of the potential names that you would like to choose and then select one.
• The approach the clerk’s office in the court. Make sure that you carry the case number for your divorce and also the date when the court passed the judgment for dissolution of your marriage. In addition, carry a self addressed and stamped envelop.
• Take form D 20 from the clerk’s office and fill it out. This form is available for free. Make sure that all the information filled is correct. Always use black ink to fill out the form. When signing the form, use your current name.
• Submit the form with the required fees.

Once this is done, the court will approve the name change and you can use your new name from then onwards. In some states in the US, it is not mandatory to fill out a form to change your name. Instead the proceedings are handled by a divorce lawyer, who has to publish a notification. After a stipulated time period, you can use your new name. Also, if the divorce decree has the order for maiden name restoration, then you will not have the hassle of going through any legal procedure. In such a case, make sure that you certify copies of the divorce decree so that you have legal proof for your name change.

About the Author:

Article Source

Related Blogs

This entry was posted in family solicitor. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply