How can I expedite the divorce and determine custody at a later date?

My husband and I have been apart for just a few days more than a year now and we’re still not divorced. It’s been an ongoing battle of motion after motion that he’s filing to try and gain full custody of our son. Neither of us contest the divorce, we both definitely want to get away from each other, he just wants what’s most important to me… my child. If we can’t agree on custody at this point but agree that a divorce now would be fine how, if at all, can this be done? I live in Florida if that matters.

Related Blogs

This entry was posted in family solicitor and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to How can I expedite the divorce and determine custody at a later date?

  1. cap says:

    the judge would have to make one of you the custodial parent with the other only getting visitation. You must have this in order to finalize your divorce

  2. trapeze says:

    I’m not exactly sure how it works, but my friend in California did what you did. Her and her ex are divorced. But they hadn’t agreed on child custody issues or financial stuff. So it can be done. Just talk to some lawyers or arbitrators and see what they suggest.

  3. Katie M says:

    Don’t settle for less than what you deserve. On the other hand, don’t deprive him of 50/50 if he’s a good dad and that’s what he wants. The judges will have to sort this out unfortunately and the person with the best attorney will likely win, not necessarily the best parent.

  4. Cham says:

    In Florida, there is not a mandatory joinder of a Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship, however, there it is mandatory that all things concerning the marriage, to include the children, be settled at the conclusion of the divorce proceedings.

Leave a Reply